Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Knitting something just for me

So I'm looking though my closet and I think to myself,  "I really need to go shopping."  I have 1 sweater, 2 fleece sweatshirts, and bunch of Hubby's old flannel shirts that I wear over t-shirts.  My job doesn't require me to dress up, but they also don't share my appreciation of Hubby's hand-me down flannels.  So rather than go shopping, I decided to put my knitting skills to work and actually make something for myself.  Which is almost unheard of; other than small projects.

I've been avoiding knitting for myself for a couple reasons.  Number one, well lets face it, I'm a big gal and finding patterns that fit and I actually like can be a little difficult.  I know there's all kind of pattern books dedicated to the plus sized knitter, but that leads me to the second part of the of the problem; I have a very hard time envisioning myself in the finished sweater.  What if I spend all that time working on it and I hate it when it's done?  Or worse, I love it, but it doesn't fit?

I've been eyeing up this sweater for a couple years, but didn't have the nerve to cast on, because the cables were over my head at the time.  Having recently gained more confidence in my cabling skills, I felt now was the time to tackle it.

Late last week the pre-project planning started.  I had Hubby take my measurements, I picked out the yarn, and since I won't follow a pattern to the letter, started to make modifications.  I want to change the cabling to a slightly different Celtic cable, I want buttons instead of a zipper, and I want it a little longer.  But I got ahead of myself and ordered the yarn before I was done with my modification, and now I'm scared.  I'm scared I didn't order enough yarn, I'm scared Hubby didn't make the right measurements.  And I'm scared the whole thing will turn into a giant mess.  Will this be a success or another disappointment?  The only way to find out, will be to knit the sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment