Thursday, May 19, 2011

Scary lace

I've avoided lace patterns up until now, because I was scared they were to complicated and to difficult to keep track of the stitches.  The last time I attempted lace was when I was just learning to knit and picked a pattern that was way over my head.  The last couple of months I've been browsing through my stitch dictionary longing to do something other than basic cables and ribs.

I chose horseshoe lace for this project because it looked to be one of the easier ones.  I already knew how to do all the stitches.  It was just a matter of putting them in proper sequence; which wasn't as easy and it seemed.  I can't tell you how many times I started out, sure I was following the pattern, but by the time I got to the end of the row, something was off.  I either had to many stitches or not enough, throwing off the rest of the pattern.  It wasn't until I realized I could use stitch markers at the end of each repeat to keep track of where I was.  Now even though I have 200+ stitches in a row, they just seem to fly by and I've finally gotten to the point where I've started to memorize the pattern.  I'm finding lace really isn't as scary as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment