Sunday, May 29, 2011

Gauge issues

Measuring my gauge has always been one of my biggest stumbling blocks when it comes to knitting.  And this project is no different.  I knit a swatch and carefully counted my stitches and rows and came up with 6.5 stitches & 8 rows/inch.  Using these numbers, I figured I needed  234 stitches to make a 36 inch wide piece.  It wasn't my math that was off, it was my gauge.  Turns out my gauge was more like 6 stitches/inch, so right from the beginning I inadvertently added extra inches.  So now the garment I meant to make as a small is more a medium or even a large.

Since this pattern is still a work in progress, I'm going to finish it as is and see how it turns out.  Knowing what I know now, I'll be able to make the necessary adjustments to make the next one the size I intend.

No comments:

Post a Comment