Thursday, August 2, 2012

Finding happiness on top a tractor

My husband along with his 3 brothers and mother own and run a sod and landscaping supply company.  In the 15 years that we've been married, I wanted every little to do with the family business.  I had my own job and my own life and I didn't want to feel tied to the farm 9 months a year.  But that all changed this spring, when I lost the job that I absolutely loved working as an Education Assistant at a local elementary school.

Due to some changes in the family business, they had an opening for me, if I wanted it, mowing the sod fields.  I really didn't know if I wanted to take the job or not, because I knew I had to work even when it was hot and I don't do hot, I knew it was going to be long days (10 hours), and I had never driven a tractor before.  I reluctantly  took the job, saying that I'd give it a try for the summer as long as I could start looking for another job after the the kids went back to school in the fall.

Here we are it's the beginning of August and the unthinkable has happened.  I realized yesterday as I sat in my tractor in 90 degree weather, that I really do like this job.  I don't feel the heat to much as long as there's a breeze.  I like that despite the noise of the tractor, it's peaceful, I know that sounds weird but it is. I like that I get to see wild life that I normally wouldn't.  Yesterday a bald eagle was roused out of some near by trees and swooped down in front of the tractor, I'd never seen one so close.  It made me wish I had my camera.  I also get to see some wonderful sunsets. Every day I'm in awe of how beautiful the farm really is, and I never noticed before.
Me and my tractor

No comments:

Post a Comment