Saturday, January 19, 2013

Doing some fine tuning

Front view after shorting the crotch
Back view after shorting the crotch and adding a dart at the center back



 I was pretty happy with my pants before, but I has some questions so I contacted Glenda and she offered some advice to help them fit a little better.  First off I was having issues with the crotch.  As I mentioned before something was off and I couldn't figure out what.  After lots of staring in the mirror, and driving my daughter up the wall because I was in her room and wouldn't leave, I realized the crotch was to low.  So back to the drafting table I went and spend most of the afternoon trying to figure out how to fix it with out having to draft a new pattern and cut more fabric.
Contemplating the complexities of crotch seams






In the end I think I did figure it out and changed the pattern.  The tough part was figuring out how to change the muslin without cutting anything, in case it didn't work.

Another change Glenda suggested was to add a dart at the center back seam, because the waistband was gaping.  So I did that and it brought the back waistband in to fit better.  I'm happy, but then again I don't really know what a good fit is, so I'm waiting for Glenda's feedback.  The only other thing I can see that I need to change is tapering the leg a little.  They're a little to wide for my liking.

Update:  Got an email from Glenda.  She said these were fitting much better.  There's some pulling in the high hip area, so I might need to take the seam out just a little.  She agreed about tapering the legs, but said they might hang totally smooth if I don't correct the pulling, but over all I have a fairly good fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment