Thursday, January 3, 2013

I'm on a quest for the perfect pair of pants

I have an new obsession. Pants, or more so sewing pants, and even more so sewing the perfect pair of pants for me.

Over Christmas, I made a few pairs of toddler jeans for the shop.  They're really cute.  It inspired me to pull out the pattern and fabric I bought several years ago with the intention to make myself a pair of capris. The pieces were already cut, I just had to sew them together, but my fear that they weren't going to fit, kept me from finishing them, and they got put in a drawer and forgotten about.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I pulled them out and spent the last 2 days sewing them together.  Like I feared they don't fit quite right, there's some areas where it needs modified.  I started searching for tutorial on how to make pattern adjustments and found many, but I'm sure which adjustments I need to make.

I tried taking a pair of pants that fit well and compared them to the pattern pieces, but that didn't seem to help at all; since the pattern pieces were much wider than the pants and the main problem was the finished pants made from the pattern were to tight and I even used a smaller seam allowance than it called for.

Then I tried tracing the pattern and adding a few inches to the sides, but I'm not really sure that's going to help because my problem areas are my butt and lower belly; and I really don't need any extra room in the waist.  I haven't sewn them together yet to try it, I'm a little scared to.

Then I ran across a website called Sure Fit Designs.  It's suppose to give you a master pattern made to your body based on your measurements.  It's a little pricy, but after watching a few videos, I decided to give it a try, because I have yet to find any commercial patterns in my size range that I'm happy with.  So we'll see what happens.  If nothing else I could use it to draft patterns for my daughter, although finding patterns that fit her really isn't a problem.

So my quest has begun.  Finding the perfect fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment